|Use(s) :||Banishing angels|
|Affected creatures :||Angels|
An angel-banishing sigil can temporarily send away any angels nearby when the sigil is activated. In order to work against angels, the banishing sigil must be drawn on a wall, floor or other surface in human or angel blood. Once the sigil has been drawn in blood, the caster then activates it by pressing their hand at the centre of the sigil. When the banishing sigil is activated, it will banish all and any angels in the vicinity, their vessels included, away to another part of the Earth. The banishing effect apparently lasts for some time before an affected angel is able to return to the location it was banished from.
If and when the angel-banishing sigil is used by an angel against other angels, then when it is activated it will not banish the angel that drew it with the other angels nearby. Hoewever, it would appear that the angel that uses the banishing sigil can indeed be banished with the other angels and also heavily weakened if the sigil is drawn on the angel's own vessel, as seen when Castiel did this while fallen and semi-powerless during the Apocalypse.
There are apparently several different variations of the banishing sigil, most with a similar design but a different level of intrication.
- After time travelling from 2010 back to 1973, Sam Winchester used an angel-banishing sigil there to save John and Mary by sending Anna away. (The Song Remains the Same)
- Anna instinctively used an angel-banishing sigil to send Castiel and Uriel away when the two angels were sent to take her from the Winchesters' custody and kill her. (Heaven and Hell)
- When he chose to help Dean try to stop the Apocalypse and rebelled against Heaven, Castiel helped Dean escape the Beautiful Room by drawing an angel-banishing sigil in his own blood and using it to banish Zachariah. (Lucifer Rising)
- Just after Lucifer's freedom and the start of the Apocalypse, Dean drew a hidden angel-banishing sigil at Chuck Shurley's home and used it to take Zachariah and his angel escorts by surprise and send them away. (Sympathy for the Devil)
- Castiel used an angel-banishing sigil on his own vessel to banish Zachariah's angels protecting the green room. This use of the sigil also had the inadvertent side-effect of banishing Castiel as well and causing him to lose his remaining celestial power. (Point of No Return)
- During the attack on Balthazar's mansion by Raphael's angels, Dean used an angel-banishing sigil to banish one of the angels. (The Third Man)
- During the Winchesters' assault on Crowley's monster prison, Samuel Campbell used a modified angel-banishing sigil to banish Castiel. (Caged Heat)
- Dean used an angel-banishing sigil at the Northern Indiana State Hospital to banish Hester and Inias (and unintentionally Castiel) to stop them taking Kevin Tran. (Reading Is Fundemental)
- When attacked by two hostile angels shortly after the Fall, Dean used an angel-banishing sigil to send them away. (I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here)
- When attacked by Ephraim, Castiel drew an angel-banishing sigil behind his back to try and banish him, but Ephraim attacked before Cass could use it. (Heaven Can't Wait)