|No image avaliable|
|Type :||Spirit (Ghost)|
|Notable distinctions :||Violent phenomena and telekinesis|
|Main weaknesses :|| Mojo bags|
Salting and burning remains
|Related to :|| Human|
|Culture(s) of origin :||Multiple global cultures|
|Native range :||Earth|
|First appearance :||Home|
Poltergeists are a highly violent and vicious type of attention-seeking spirit.
Poltergeists are unique among different types of ghost in that they generally act out towards living humans to seek attention. Poltergeists also go to great lengths to gain attention, and will become extremely vicious and violent if less aggressive attempts to gain attention fail. Like other ghosts, poltergeists can be put to rest by salting and burning their mortal remains. (Swap Meat) Stronger spirits can also vanquish poltergeists from the residence they haunt. Placing mojo bags in the north, east, south and west ends of a foundation a poltergeist haunts can also destroy the poltergeist, but if the spirit is especially powerful and vicious, it will simply wound it. (Home)
Hunts and encountersEdit
- According to Sam Winchester, at some point John hunted a poltergeist in Amherst, and temporarily went missing during the hunt. (Pilot)
- Circa 2003, a poltergeist attacked Jerry Panowski and his family at their house in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, and apparently severely damaged the house; but Jerry was saved from the poltergeist by the Winchesters. (Phantom Traveller)
- Twenty-two years after Mary Winchester's death, the negative energy that Azazel's presence had left in the Winchester house had attracted a particularly vicious poltergeist. It began haunting Jenny Cooper and her two children with increasing and eventually deadly violence after they moved into the house. After Sam and Dean Winchester and Missouri Moseley made a failed attempt to banish the poltergeist, it attempted to kill everyone in the house, until Mary's spirit sacrificed her energy to banish it permanently. (Home)
- Maggie Briggs haunted the house of Isasiah Pickett as a poltergeist after her death in the 1720s, until in 2010, when she began violently harming and haunting a family, Dean Winchester and Gary Frankle put her to rest by salting and burning her bones. (Swap Meat)
In folklore and parapsychology, a poltergeist is a type of ghost or other supernatural being supposedly responsible for physical disturbances such as loud noises and objects moved around or destroyed. Most accounts of poltergeists describe movement or levitation of objects, such as furniture and cutlery, or noises such as knocking on doors. Poltergeists have also been claimed to be capable of pinching, biting, hitting and tripping people. Poltergeists appear in multiple accounts of cultural folklore, and have traditionally been described as troublesome spirits who haunt a particular person instead of a specific location.
- The Supernatural tie-in novel version of John Winchester's journal gives more detail about the poltergeist that involvved Jerry Panowski's family. It states that the poltergeist was haunting a local playground where Jerry's child played, because the playground was built on an old cemetery, before John came to help deal with it.